Friday, July 18, 2008

Happy Birthday Mommy!

I'm trying to be better at posting all the goings on in my life. So what's a better thing to do at 4am than sleep, blog about Mom's bday. LOL. We went to Mom and Dad's for Penrod Family Tacos on July 13th. We were celebrating Mom's birthday. Yes, folks. She's old. Naw! Kidding. She's a youngin. I have a picture of the original Larry Penrod Family Cast, without the "extras" on my desk at work. (Yes, spouses and grandbabies, I have called you extras. But not as in excess. You can't make a movie without extras!) Anyway, four people have commented that they thought my parents were the oldest siblings. I have the best family in the world. We're all a little crazy and we have so much fun together. I am who I am because of my parents. There are some who would criticize the way I acted as a teenager, and blame my parents, but I'm so strong-willed, and frankly, I wanted to know things for myself. I wanted to see for myself why people said certain things were bad or good. I've learned to listen to "old" people. For those people (of course not extended family, who are the only ones reading my ramblings, but others throughout life) you can also blame my parents for me believing in the gospel and trying my hardest to be the best wife, mom, and member of society that I possibly can. I had good relationships with my parents and they always taught me what was right. Always. There was never a shortage of hugs and "I Love You's" at our house and we were, and still are, so open with each other. When leaving the house each morning, we'd hear "I love you and remember who you are." For Mother's Day one year, I made a card about the many hats that mom's wear. From cabbie to nurse, my Mom wears them all. My mom never brags or even talks about the caring things she's done over the years. One thing that stands out in my mind is when a ward member of hers developed cancer. My Mom went to their house twice a day for months to administer medicine, check on her, and be a friend. She never wanted any recognition and always made it seem like it wasn't a big deal. I saw her push her schedule around without a second thought, just to make things work out. She gave so much to that family, even after the woman died, but never let it affect how much she gave to her family. That's my Mom. There are so many things I learned from her and I hope that I can someday be as good of a person as my Mom is. Mom, thanks for giving 150% in everything you do, and for never giving up on me. I love you so much, and the best part is, I know you love me more. I hope my babies will one day look up to me the same way that I do to you.

0 comments: